Electrical inspectorate department is a statutory creation under the Indian Electricity Act 1910 headed by the Chief Electrical Inspector to the Government of Tamilnadu, under the administrative control of the Energy Department in the Government Secretariat. The inspectorate is primarily responsible for the enforcement of the various provisions of the Indian Electricity Act 1910 and the Indian Electricity Rules 1956, in order to ensure safety to the workmen, public and the equipments. Apart from these the department is entrusted with the following statutory duties and executive functions under the following acts.
1. The Tamilnadu electricity duty act 1939 and Tamilnadu Electricity duty Rules 1939.
2. The Tamilnadu electricity (taxation on consumptions) act 1962 and Tamilnadu electricity (taxations on consumptions) rules 1964
3. Tamilnadu Electrical undertaking acquisition act 1973 and the rules made thereunder.
4. Tamilnadu lift act 1997 and the rules made thereunder
5. Tamilnadu cinemas (regulations) act 1955 and Tamilnadu cinemas (regulations) rules 1957
6. The Chief Electrical Inspector to Government functions as nominated member of the Tamilnadu Government in the Central Electricity Board in the legislation of the Indian electricity rules 1956.
7. Chief Electrical Inspector to Government has to offer technical opinion to the Government in matters referred to him in connection with the electricity.
8. Chief Electrical Inspector to Government functions as a member of the technical committees of the Bureau of Indian Standards in the electro technical field.
9. Chief Electrical Inspector to Government is to function as a member of the power and telegraph co-ordinations committee to enforce power and telegraph co-ordinations committee code.
10. Chief Electrical Inspector to Government is the ex- officio president of the Tamilnadu Electrical Licensing Board constituted under rule 45 of Indian Electricity rules 1956.
Rule 45 (i) of Indian
Electricity Rules 1956 stipulates that Electrical Installation works including
addition, alteration etc., excepting petty repairs should be carried out
The Electrical Licensing Board is the statutory body originally constituted by state Government in G.O.Ms.No.4317, PWD Dated 16.11.1955 and subsequently Re-constituted as broad based Board functions on behalf of the Government for the grant of certificate of competency to Wireman Helper, Wireman, Supervisor and Licenses to Electrical Contractors and for implementation of the provisions contained in Sub-Rule 2 A of Rule 3 of Indian Electricity Rules 1956 in regard to the competancy certificates to the Personnel Operating in Power Generating Stations and associated Sub-Stations.
Chief Electrical Inspector to Government is the Ex-Officio President and Treasurer of Electrical Licensing Board, One of the Electrical Inspectors of the Electrical Inspectorate is the full time Secretary of the Board. Eleven others representing various Government Departments, Institutions and Contractors Association are acting as members of the Board. It is a service oriented financially autonomous statutory organisation.